The Village of Union City was legally established on January 26th, 1866 and was granted a Village charter by the State of Michigan on March 23rd, 1869.
Prior to being established as “Union City”, the Village was located on land that the United States acquired from Great Britain in 1783, and became the State of Michigan in 1837.
The Union City area was first settled in 1833 by Justin Goodwin, and the first plat of the Village was made on land owned by E.W. Morgan, which was recorded on August 27th, 1835 under the name “Goodwinville”.
In 1837, Union Township was established, and the Township board governed Union City until the Village was incorporated in 1866.
Union City got its name from the union of the St. Joseph and Coldwater Rivers.
Population Statistics (From U.S. Bureau of Census)